Monday, August 11, 2008

Redecorating...aaahhh the joy! Not!

We are in the process of redecorating our upstairs hall, master bedroom and master bathroom. The hall is finally painted and we started on the bedroom. Now, about 9 years ago I had the most lovely Laura Ashley wallpaper professionally hung on one of my bedroom walls, and a matching border around the entire room. It matched the bedding set we had. The remaining walls we painted a deep chambray blue (a Laura Ashley color). Not sure why. I don't really like blue. When I was a teen and young adult, everything I owned was blue and I now avoid it. Yet I have lived in a blue bedroom for 9 years.



Anyway, it is time for the wallpaper to come down and the blue walls to go. I have removed wallpaper before. Probably not the proper way, but it has always worked for me. This time, since the wall is so big...we're talking 19' long with a cathedral ceiling!...I would do it the right way. I bought the Dif wallpaper remover, bought a ladder, and scored the wallpaper. I applied the Dif liberally with a roller and waited the full 20 minutes. My husband, Craig, and I began peeling, and let's just say, it didn't go well. I think the guy who hung it used super glue to put it on.
Well, the kids got involved and we all spent about three hours picking away, scraping while using water to remove the paper backing. My bed is now in the middle of the floor as are my nightstands. The dogs were very confused at bedtime last night. I am going to try the Dif again today...and leave it on longer. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

We are going through this process, too, on our house we are currently living in and the one we are moving into. We opted to have a professional do it this time since it is such a big pain. One of our little bathrooms took the pro 5 hours to take down the wallpaper because it was stuck on there good!! Next week they are taking down wallpaper in 4 of the rooms of the house we are moving in to. I hope they get it down quickly but you never know with wall paper.

elaine said...

can't wait to see the finished product....Good Luck!!!